In just a few weeks I’m moving to a new apartment. One of the things I’m most excited about regarding the move is getting rid of STUFF! My new place is gonna be “cozy,” which is the New York City real estate broker term for…not very much space. ;) This is very exciting though – it means I get to get rid of ANYTHING I don’t absolutely love or that isn’t genuinely useful.
I’ve lived in the same apartment for 2 years now so I definitely have clothes, paperwork/bills, supplement bottles, beauty products, books, etc that I’ve accumulated, and it’s gonna feel so clean and freeing to donate and get rid of stuff.
I’ve had this awesome book for years called Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston. It’s an amazing book if you need some motivation to clean and get rid of old stuff. I find it really helpful to read through it anytime I’m moving apartments, during the change of seasons, or at the start of a new year. Out with the old energy, in with the new, fresh energy!
Just to get you a little taste of what life enhancements can be achieved by getting rid of old stuff, here are 5 ways (according to the book) that clutter can negatively impact your life. I bet you’ll wanna clean immediately after you read these!! :)
1) Clutter can make you tired and lethargic. Many people who have clutter say they constantly feel tired. Clutter is stagnant energy, and clearing it frees up the energy in your home and releases new vitality in your body.
2) Clutter can keep you in the past. When all of your space is filled with clutter, you have no room for anything new to come into your life.
3) Clutter can cause you to keep on extra body weight. Karen noticed over her years of research that people who have clutter are often overweight. As you start looking after your environment, you naturally feel inclined to look after yourself better too.
4) Clutter can make you procrastinate. If you have a lot of clutter, you will tend to put off doing things until tomorrow. Clutter stagnates your energy and makes it difficult to get yourself to do anything.
5) Clutter can dull your sensitivity and enjoyment of life. Clutter can make you feel like you’re living in a rut — and clearing it allows fresh winds of inspiration to enter your home and life.
Karen says, “A major clear-out is absolutely ESSENTIAL if you truly want to have passion, joy, and happiness in your life. These feelings are the experience of great energy flowing through your body, and this cannot happen if your channels are clogged.”
Those are just a few things that might be happening if you have a lot of clutter around, or even just messy drawers or a lot of old clothes or shoes in your closet that you never wear. Get the book to read more, and especially to read her tips for clearing your space and creating a clean, harmonious home that reflects what you REALLY want your life to feel like.
I’m getting excited about clearing the space in my life for new possibilities and fresh energy. I’m sure I’ll be posting more about my move on instagram as it gets closer. Who’s down for doing some space clearing!?
Are you feeling motivated to clean and clear some space in your life? Let me know in the comments!
Love you guys,