Yesterday for the 4th of July, my friend Tricia made awesome black bean burgers (recipe from this cookbook) and left a plate of collard greens to wrap them up with. Tricia is always coming up with awesome ways to make health-supportive, nourishing food taste great. This was genius and seriously delicious – a total crowd pleaser. These collard green wraps are living proof that you don’t have to stuff yourself with processed crap just because you’re at a party or BBQ. You can, in fact, eat party food and get your greens on at the same time!
Why raw collard greens instead of bread?
- They are packed with vitamins, minerals (including A, C, K and calcium) and antioxidants for glowing, vibrant health – you can’t say the same about that white bun
- They are gluten free
- They are big and super sturdy so they’re great as a sandwich, burrito or burger wrap
- You’ll feel less stuffed, which means you can have more fun!
Ideas for collard wraps:
- Any sandwich or burger
- Hummus + veggies
- Burrito or taco fillings – don’t forget the guac and hot sauce!
- Anything you’d normally stick between two slices of bread or inside a tortilla