I love condiments. Always have, always will. In the past, I used to love things like creamy dressings, mayo, bacon bits, cheese sauces of all kinds…you get the point. Unfortunately, none of those things are health-supporting or friendly to the waistline!
When I started learning more about nutrition and cooking, I realized there is a whole WORLD of healthy condiments out there – and now my pantry is stacked with them! I find no need for the health-busting condiments of the past. There are so many flavors and spices out there (and even some healthy, creamy condiments!) that you won’t even miss those old faves. Trust me! Plus, most of these condiments have health benefits, too. Win-win!
One of my favorite things to do is cook a plain meal and set all kinds of condiments out on the table, and let myself and whoever I’m eating with dress up the meal. Kind of like an art project. 😉
Here’s a list of some of my all-time favorite healthy condiments.
- Sea salt (I love the taste of gray Celtic sea salt)
- Black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Curry powder
- Lemon juice
- Hot sauce (I love Cholula original flavor)
- Dijon mustard (try mixing a little bit in with a whole grain pasta dish with veggies – yum)
- Tahini (great to make things a little creamy)
- Coconut milk (also great for creaminess)
- Miso (I like sweet white miso – try this brand)
- Fresh herbs (sage, basil, thyme, rosemary, cilantro)
- Tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- Ume plum vinegar
- Red wine vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Unrefined coconut oil
- Garlic & garlic powder
- Celery salt
- Gomasio (sesame seeds & sea salt)
- Maple syrup or brown rice syrup to sweeten things
These are just a few! So start experimenting with flavors & spices and see what masterpieces you can come up with!
What are YOUR favorite condiments?