Normally I don’t like to write scare-posts, meaning – “stay away from this!!!” Instead, I like to shed light on the positive side to a healthy lifestyle. However, the other day while I was visiting the Naked Cafe in San Diego, I picked up a copy of the San Diego Healthy Times newspaper. On the front page was a story called “The Food Industry’s Most Evil Ingredients” by Mike Adams of Natural News. As I read through the list, I thought – whoa, people need to know about this!
So here I am, sharing the list with you.
Now, you may already know that it’s much better for your body to eat whole foods instead of processed foods. Why? Because whole foods are in their natural form and don’t have any scary toxic ingredients added in. Processed foods often contain substances that are extremely disease-promoting. Bottom line? The less ingredients, the better — and it’s best if you actually know what all the ingredients are. The absolute gold medal best? Foods that only contain 1 ingredient, for example – kale, avocado, lemon. Yum.
So check your ingredients labels before blindly buying something, and avoid the following ingredients:
- Acrylamides – cancer-causing, found in chips, snack foods
- Aspartame – causes neurological disorders
- Autolyzed Proteins – highly processed taste enhancer
- BPA (Bisphenol-A) – causes hormone disorders, found in plastic packaging
- Casein – highly addictive milk protein, ironically often found in soy cheese
- Corn Syrup – another name for HFCS, often found in infant formula
- Food Colors – can cause behavioral disorders in children
- Genetically Modified Ingredients – linked to infertility, release bacteria & pesticides in the gut, not currently listed on labels, but certified organic food can’t be genetically modified
- High-Fructose Corn Syrup – liquid sugar linked to diabetes, obesity & mood disorders, found in thousands of things
- Homogenized Milk – the milk is artificially modified to make it look better (so the fat doesn’t separate). promotes heart disease & contributes to milk allergies
- Hydrochloride – synthetic, chemical forms of vitamins
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein – highly processed taste enhancer
- Partially Hydrogenated Oils – chemically modified oil, creates trans-fatty acids and blocks arteries
- Phosphoric Acid – used in sodas to add fizziness, destroys tooth enamel
- Propylene Glycol – a liquid used in the auto industry to winterize RVs, and also to make the fake blueberries in blueberry muffins
- Sodium (white salt) – processed salt, disease promoting, used in thousands of things – a better choice is pink or grey salt (loaded w/ minerals)
- Sodium Nitrate – a poison cancer-causing red chemical added to processed meats to make them look fresh
- Soy Protein – found in protein bars, made from genetically modified soybeans, subjected to hexane, an explosive chemical
- Sucralose- artificial sweetener containing chlorine, promotes weight gain
- Sugar- white sugar is bleached, promotes diabetes, obesity, mood disorders, nutritional deficiency
- Textured Vegetable Protein- genetically modified & highly processed soy protein
- Yeast Extract- a hidden form of MSG, found in thousands of products
Learn more at Natural News.
I know this list looks long, but fortunately there are tons of things you can eat that don’t have weird crap in them! Start here. Eat stuff you recognize!!! If you can picture the food or ingredient in nature, you’re good to go. If it sounds like a weird chemical, it is! Pass on it.
Once you get the hang of it, it’ll be easy to sniff out these little culprits. 🙂