Yesterday was National Watermelon Day! Although this blog post is 1 day late to the watermelon party, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy copious amounts of watermelon this month.
Watermelon is my absolute favorite snack in the summer. There’s nothing better than biting into a fresh chunk of cold, juicy watermelon when it’s hot out! Lately, I’ve been tucking a few dollars into my pocket when I go out for a run in the park so I can pick up some fresh watermelon to eat on my walk home. It’s so refreshing. Pair that with a coconut water and consider yourself hydrated!
Aside from being delicious and fun to eat, watermelon surprisingly has a lot of incredible health benefits, too.
What are some of the health benefits of eating watermelon?
- It’s super hydrating. True to its name, this juicy fruit has tons of water in it! That’s why it’s a perfect snack on a hot summer day, or after a workout when we all need a little extra hydration.
- It satisfies your sweet cravings. Before sticking your hand into the cookie jar when you want something sweet, try eating a bowl of cut up watermelon first. The sweetness of this yummy treat will satisfy any sweet tooth without the refined sugar!
- Watermelon is a rich source of a powerful antioxidant, lycopene. Lycopene neutralizes free radicals in the body that cause damage to our cells.
- It’s packed with vitamin C, vitamin A, and B vitamins (boosts immune system and energy production)!
- Better than a sugary sports drink. Loaded with electrolytes and potassium, watermelon is a fantastic alternative to those sports drinks you’ve been chugging.
….and more. As if you didn’t have enough reasons to get out there and chow on some watermelon, now you’ve got even more motivation. :)
Enjoy the rest of your watermelon-filled summer!