Healthy skin is an important part of overall health and well-being. After all, your skin is your largest organ and protects everything on the inside! Your skin is exposed to all kinds of pollutants, free radicals and germs every day, so it’s up to you to take the necessary steps for skin health.
How can your diet keep your skin feeling and looking youthful and vibrant? What you put into your body will show on the outside – and luckily, many foods have moisturizing, anti-aging properties. All you have to do is fit more of these skin-friendly foods into your diet. The key? Cutting back on refined foods and eating more natural foods that are bursting with nutrients, vitamins and healthy fats.
Here are a few foods that can give your skin that happy, healthy glow.
- Blueberries: packed with healthy antioxidants, these little blue treats combat free radicals that age your skin and help prevent skin cell damage
- Carrots: high in Vitamin A – a key player in developing new skin cells and keeping dry skin at bay, preventing the appearance of wrinkles
- Salmon, flax seeds: rich in Omega 3s – anti-inflammatory, keep cell membranes healthy
- Green tea: high in potent antioxidants, can reactivate dying skin cells, and has been shown to fight against skin cancer
- Sunflower seeds: high in Vitamin E – an antioxidant that keeps skin looking youthful
- Almonds: another great source of Vitamin E to fight off free radicals
- Avocado: monounsaturated fat and Vitamin E – assists production of collagen, enhances skin tone, can reduce appearance of wrinkles
- Tomatoes: contain lycopene, which repairs damaged skin cells
- Olive oil: the monounsaturated fat helps your skin hold onto its natural oils, keeping it moisturized
- Watermelon: rich in A, B and C vitamins- keeps the skin hydrated and radiant.
- Sweet Potatoes: vitamin A, C and beta-carotene – helps to eliminate free radicals
And the most important thing for healthy, young skin – WATER! Drink water every day to keep your skin moisturized.
Make all of these foods staples in your diet – you’ll look more youthful and reap lots of health benefits.
Want more? Check out Gary Null’s Power Foods – The 15 Best Foods For Your Health.